Comparison Of Radiation Exposure To Patients During Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) Performed By Endoscopists Trained In Judicious Use Of Fluoroscopy With Those Without Formal Training
Purpose: To compare the radiation exposure in patients during Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) done by Endoscopists formally trained in judicious use of fluoroscopy versus ERCPs done by Endoscopists without such formal training. Research design: This is an observational study to compare radiation exposure in patients during ERCPs based on formal training. Procedures to be used: None Risks and potential benefits There are no risks associated with this study as it is a retrospective chart review. Potential benefits include the knowledge gained from this study which may be of help to patients in the future. Importance of knowledge that may reasonably be expected to result The knowledge gained from this study may be of help to provide new insights and develop newer guidelines for radiation use in the future.
- Pancreatic Cancer
- Eligible Ages
- Between 18 Years and 100 Years
- Eligible Genders
- Accepts Healthy Volunteers
- Any indications for undergoing an ERCP. If a patient undergoes more than one ERCP then it shall be reported as such, as multiple data points. - Only those ERCP cases will be included that have been exposed to fluoroscopy (X-ray radiation). - Adult populations will be included, all races and belonging to any gender will be included in the study.
- Patients who didn't receive ERCP - Those in whom the biliary or pancreatic ducts are not cannulated and therefore who do not receive any fluoroscopy - Pregnant women - Patient population less than 18 years of age
- Study Type
- Observational Model
- Time Perspective
|Patients undergoing ERCP by formally trained Endoscopists||Patients who undergo ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio Pancreatography) performed by Endoscopists who are trained on minimum use of fluoroscopy.||
|Patients undergoing ERCP by Endoscopists not formally trained||Patients who undergo ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio Pancreatography) performed by Endoscopists who have not received formal training on minimum use of fluoroscopy.||
- The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston
Study ContactPrithvi Patil, MS